- 28 February 2017: Application deadline
- 5 May 2017: Application deadline for existing students
- 1 August 2017: Application deadline for graduate applications
For the first round auditions, you will be asked to play a set piece specified by the examiners (an accompanist or other instrumentalist will be provided as required - you are not permitted to bring your own accompanist). You may also be required to do some sight-reading.
If successful at the first round auditions, candidates will be invited back to the second round auditions. At second round auditions candidates will be placed in chamber groups with other candidates and are required to play set pieces of chamber repertoire.
Set pieces list
(From the 2016 auditions: 2017 details will be announced in February)
Round 1 Individual Pieces 2016
- Flute - Gaubert: Nocturne et Allegro scherzando
- Oboe – Nielsen: Two Fantasistykke
- Clarinet - Schumann: Fantasiestücke, op. 73, numbers 1 and 3
- Bassoon - Elgar: Romance
- Violin – Schumann: Sonata for violin and piano in A minor, op.105, first movement
- Viola - Schumann: Märchenbilder, op. 113, numbers 1 and 2
- Cello - Beethoven: Sonata in C major, op. 102 no. 1, '3rd mvmt ' onwards (Adagio etc)
- Double bass – Bottesini: Elegy in D major
- Harp – Pierne: Impromptu-Caprice opus 9
- Piano – Beethoven: Sonata for violin and piano in G major, op.30 no.3, first mvmt
- Horn - Saint-Saëns: Morceau de concert, op. 94
- Trumpet - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Trumpet
- Trombone - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Trombone
- Tuba - Malcolm Arnold: Fantasy for Tuba
Round 2 Ensemble Pieces 2016
Brass players may be required to play in second round groups but are not required to prepare any repertoire in advance
- WIND QUINTET Paul Patterson, 'Westerly Winds' for Wind Quintet
- STRING QUARTET Beethoven: op.18 no. 4 in C minor, 1st movement
- PIANO TRIO Beethoven Piano Trio op. 11 first movement
Candidates selected for Round 2 should be prepared to play any part from the pieces listed above relevant to their instrument.
Please note that details of set pieces for the 2017 auditions will be announced in February 2017.