- 28 February 2018: Application deadline
- 4 May 2018: Application deadline for existing students
- 1 August 2018: Application deadline for graduate applications
For the first round auditions, you will be asked to play a set piece specified by the examiners (an accompanist or other instrumentalist will be provided as required - you are not permitted to bring your own accompanist). You may also be required to do some sight-reading.
If successful at the first round auditions, candidates will be invited back to the second round auditions. At second round auditions candidates will be placed in chamber groups with other candidates and are required to play set pieces of chamber repertoire.
Set pieces list
First Round 2018
- Violin - Brahms Violin Sonata in D minor 1st movement
- Viola - Max Bruch Romance opus 85
- Cello - Schumann Fantasie Stücke No.1 and 2
- Double Bass – Bottesini Elegy in D major
- Piano - Brahms Violin Sonata in D minor 1st movement
- Harp - Pierne Impromptu-Caprice opus 9
- Flute – Frank Martin Ballade
- Oboe – Colin Solo de Concours No. 8
- Clarinet – Gaubert Fantasie
- Horn - Franz Strauss Intro, Theme and Variations
- Trumpet - Malcolm Arnold Fantasy for Trumpet
- Trombone - Malcolm Arnold Fantasy for Trombone
- Tuba - Malcolm Arnold Fantasy for Tuba
- Bassoon - Grovlez Sicilienne & Allegro Giocoso
Brass players may be required to play in second round groups but are not required to prepare any repertoire in advance
- Wind - Paul Paterson Folk song arrangements Westerly Winds - No.2 Widecombe Jan and No.4 the Looe Bar Lady
- String Quartet - Haydn opus 71 No.2 1st and 2nd movements
- Piano Trio - Schubert: Piano trio in E-flat major, D. 929, 1st movement.
Candidates selected for Round 2 should be prepared to play any part from the pieces listed above relevant to their instrument. Parts will be made available using Dropbox. An e-mail with the link will be circulated by 1 June.
Horn players will receive a single audition, at which they will be asked to express a preference for playing in either a wind or brass group.
Candidates should not play repeats in any of the set works