skip to content

Your fee status will influence the level of fees you are charged, and also the type of financial aid available to you, and so it is important that you are correctly classified. If you are made an offer of admission to the University, your offer will state what we believe your fee status to be, based on the information you have provided as part of your application, and according to the relevant UK legislation.

All students who are not classified as Home will be classified as Overseas. Students from the Channel Islands and the Isle of Man are classed as Overseas.

The Universities Minister for England announced on 23 June 2020:

EU nationals (except Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland), and other EEA and Swiss nationals will no longer be eligible for home fee status for courses starting in academic year 2021/22 unless they are benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively.

UK Government regulations determining the fee status for the above categories of student has not yet been published, but is expected by March 2021. The University will be able to provide further guidance about fee status assessments for EU students commencing their studies in October 2021 once the government announces amended regulations. Updates will be published on this website as soon as they are available. 

Criteria for classification as Home (for students commencing their course after September 2021)

There are a number of requirements which must be met in order to be eligible for Home fees. Listed below are the two main requirements. Please note that these are not the only requirements that you will need to meet, and are liable to change in order to comply with the requirements of UK legislation. The details of this government legislation has not yet been confirmed for entry in 2021/22.

Further information is also available on the UK Council for International Student Affairs (UKCISA) website, however please note that the requirements for entry in 2021/22 are not yet available.

Students must normally meet the requirements of both settled status and ordinary residence in the first instance.

1. Settled status/nationality

This means that students must be nationals of the UK or have indefinite leave to enter/remain in the UK (ie they must not be subject under immigration laws to any restriction on the period for which they may stay in the UK).

The Government have announced that EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals who wish to commence courses in England in the academic year starting from September 2021 will need to be benefitting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, the EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or the Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively to be eligible for Home fees.

Irish nationals living in the UK or Ireland whose right to study and to access benefits and services will be preserved on a reciprocal basis for UK and Irish nationals under the Common Travel Area arrangement and will also be eligible for Home fees.

2. Ordinary residence

Students must also have been ordinarily resident in the UK, for the three years prior to the relevant start date of the course for which they are applying (1st September), and that residence should not have been wholly or mainly for the purposes of receiving education. Being absent from the UK due to study abroad is usually considered a temporary absence and does not affect ordinary residence if the home/permanent address is within the UK. All information is subject to further government confirmation.


This is a very general summary of the main criteria for Home fee status classification, but there are exceptions, as well as other requirements, which must be taken into account. There are also other categories of students who might also be eligible for Home fees, for example, refugees.