skip to content

Undergraduate Study


You need to have top grades to study at the University of Cambridge.

You'll need to check the entry requirements for your course before you apply. You may need to have qualifications in a particular subject and achieve certain grades. The entry requirements for your course may differ between Cambridge Colleges.

Our course pages refer to our A level and International Baccalaureate requirements. You can find out more about how we consider A level and IB qualifications and the other qualifications that we accept on our qualifications page.

Check the course pages for entry requirements

You also may need to:

Making an offer to study at Cambridge

Offers above the minimum requirement

The minimum offer level and subject requirements outline the minimum you'll usually need to achieve in your qualifications to receive an offer from Cambridge.

In some cases you’ll receive a higher or more challenging offer.

Colleges set higher offer requirements for a number of reasons. This could be because:

  • there is strong competition for places on the course. In this case, we may make more offers and make them more challenging. This gives more applicants a chance to prove themselves through their exam performance, rather than not being made an offer
  • you have taken some exams early. We need to ensure you will achieve the highest grades in your remaining exams. This helps us to assess whether you will be able to manage the academic challenge of sitting exams in a single exam period, which is how we assess students at Cambridge
  • you have a less common combination of subjects or we want to encourage you to continue with the best combination of subjects
  • you performed less well in some parts of the application process

Where we set more challenging offers this is to better ensure that you will be able to cope with the academic level of the course and thrive at Cambridge.

English language requirements

If you're not from a majority English speaking country (as defined by the UK Home Office), your English language skills must be good enough for you to:

  • take part in an academic interview
  • study a Cambridge course that is taught and examined in English

Cambridge offers that include an English language condition

Offers from Cambridge may include an English language condition either as part of any visa requirements or if there are any concerns raised during your application.

We’ll assess you on:

  • your qualifications
  • written assessment or pre-submitted work
  • interview performance
  • educational background

The Cambridge College that makes you an offer will decide what the condition is. The condition may be based on your grade in a high school qualification or an approved English language test.

As a guide, you would be expected to achieve a good C1 standard within the Common European Framework for Languages (CEFR) in all four competencies by the time you start at Cambridge University. Commonly, this is demonstrated by one of the qualifications listed below.

Minimum English language requirements

  • IELTS Academic – normally a minimum overall grade of 7.5, usually with 7.0 or above in each element
  • TOEFL Internet Based Test (IBT) – normally a minimum overall score of 110, with 25 or above in each element
  • EU students – competence in English at C1 standard in the appropriate component of a school-leaving exam (for example, the Abitur)
  • Cambridge English: C2 Proficiency – accepted with a minimum overall score of 200, with no element lower than 185
  • Cambridge English: C1 Advanced – accepted with a minimum overall score of 193, with no element lower than 185, alongside other evidence of competence in English

If you have followed the Singapore Integrated Programme (SIP), contact your chosen College admissions office for advice.

Visas and Secure English Language Tests (SELT)

For some visa types, UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) requires a Secure English Language Test (SELT) such as 'IELTS for UKVI (Academic)'. However, under UKVI policy, as a Higher Education Provider (HEP), we can accept other English language qualifications when sponsoring a student visa.

If you take an approved English language test to meet the English language requirements:

  • the test is only valid for visa purposes for two years from the date of the exam
  • the results should still be valid on your first day of your Cambridge course
  • the component scores should normally be achieved in a single sitting of the test.

If you’re under 18 when you start at Cambridge

If you’ll be under 18 when you join us, you should talk to a College Admissions Office as early as possible to discuss your application.

If you’re considering Medicine, you should also read the advice about age requirements on the Medicine course page.

If you'll be under the age of 16 on admission, you may need to meet additional requirements and restrictions to comply with legislation.

Transferring to Cambridge from another UK university

We normally do not consider applications from students enrolled on a degree course at another UK university.

We’ll only consider this if:

  • you have exceptional circumstances
  • you want to change the subject you're studying

You will:

  • need strong support from your course director
  • need a written reference or letter of support to the Cambridge College you apply to
  • be assessed in the same way as any other applicant

If you transfer to Cambridge from another UK university, you will need to start your chosen Cambridge course from the beginning (first year). It is not possible to transfer credit to Cambridge from another university.

Please be aware that if you have previously studied at another university, this may impact your eligibility for student finance and/or a student visa.