skip to content

Undergraduate Study


The University and Colleges are committed to the principle that no suitably qualified Home fee status student should be deterred from applying to Cambridge by their financial circumstances, and that no publicly funded Home fee status student should have to leave because of financial difficulties. Therefore, we offer an extensive programme of financial support to ensure our students can meet the cost of their Cambridge education, regardless of background.1

Cambridge Bursary Scheme

The Cambridge Bursary Scheme offers Home fee status students non-repayable Bursaries of up to £10,500 over three years or £14,000 over four years.2

The value of each Bursary is dependent on household income.

  • If your household income is £25,000 per year or less you're eligible for the maximum non-repayable Cambridge Bursary, currently of £3,500 per year.
  • If your household income is between £25,001 and £42,620 per year you're eligible for a partial non-repayable Cambridge Bursary.
  • A higher Bursary (currently of £5,600 per year) is available to UK mature students or care leavers with family incomes of £25,000 per year or less who are also resident in Cambridge throughout the year.
  • There's no limit to the number of Bursaries available.
  • You're automatically considered for a Cambridge Bursary if you're financially assessed by your student finance authority.

See the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website for more information.

Stormzy Scholarship for Black UK Students

Two scholarships were awarded to students commencing study at Cambridge in autumn 2018, made possible by the generous support of Stormzy. The awards will cover tuition fees and a significant contribution towards living costs for up to four years of an undergraduate degree course.

For more information, see the Stormzy Scholarship webpage.

Faculty awards and grants

Some faculties and departments may offer funds, grants and/or prizes for students to in recognition of academic achievement. Where available, details of such awards can be found on the relevant faculty/department website.

College awards and grants

Your College may offer additional sources of funding to help in particular circumstances or for specific costs, such as:

  • book and equipment grants to help with specific study-related costs
  • scholarships and prizes for academic or other achievements
  • travel grants for academic work and personal enrichment
  • grants and loans to help deal with unforeseen financial difficulties

Information on these funds is available from College websites below or by contacting the College directly. 

1 Applies to students studying for their first undergraduate degree.

2 Details are correct for 2018-19. Please see the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website for full information, eligibility and updates regarding awards in 2019-20 onwards.