skip to content

Undergraduate Study


The UK operates a points-based immigration system, which affects students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) and Switzerland, and ties a student's visa to the university which he/she will be attending.

Study in the UK normally requires a Tier 4 visa. To apply for a visa you must receive sponsorship from a university through a 'confirmation of acceptance for studies' (CAS) and prove that you have the funds to meet all of your tuition fees and living costs (as set by the Home Office).

It is your responsibility to make sure you understand and meet the immigration requirements of the UK, and obtain the correct Tier 4 visa to study at Cambridge.

If you're made an offer of a place at the University, you're eligible for a CAS once you meet all the conditions (where required) and formally accept it. Since you can only make your visa application three months ahead of your course start date, the earliest you might receive your electronic CAS statement is June. You must use this information to complete some of the questions asked in the visa application.

The primary source of information on all matters concerning immigration is the Home Office. Information on whether you require a visa, how to apply, guidance notes and application forms are available on the Home Office website. You must consult this website regularly, as the rules and documentation change frequently.

The International Students website provides more detail on immigration and student visas, as well as information and links to other sources of information and help for international students hoping to study in the UK. The University’s International Student Office also provides a visa advice service and can be contacted with any student-related immigration queries.

International students may require a visa if invited to attend an interview. Further information is outlined on the International Students website.