skip to content

Undergraduate Study


EU Undergraduate Students

The UK has voted to leave the European Union. It's not currently known how long that process will take or the impact it will have on UK policy on higher education tuition fees, loans and bursaries. The Education Secretary confirmed on 2 July 2018 that: 'students from the European Union starting courses in England in the 2019/20 academic year will continue to be eligible for home fee status’. This announcement, along with the announcements made in October 2016 and April 2017, allows the University of Cambridge to confirm that the fee for undergraduate EU students who are already studying at Cambridge, or who will start their studies in 2018 or 2019, will be at the applicable Home rate (which for undergraduate students may be up to the maximum level allowed under UK law for each year) for the duration of their course. They will also be able to access financial support for the duration of their course. Please note that all fees are liable to rise annually.


There’s a range of help available, including:

  • government student loans for tuition fees and living costs
  • the Cambridge Bursary Scheme
  • College awards

Government financial support

Some support is currently available to all Home fee status students. Eligibility for other funding depends on your financial circumstances. Arrangements can also vary depending on where you are from (England,1Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland, or the EU).

Please refer to the relevant student finance authority for details and guidance.

You’re strongly advised to apply for financial support as early as possible. Applications for government support will open early in 2018 and you don’t need a confirmed place at a university to apply for this. Non-UK EU nationals should regularly check online for updates. For information about costs and support for international/overseas students including those from the Islands (Channel Islands/Isle of Man) see international financial support.

Cambridge financial support

If you're a Home fee status student, we don’t want financial considerations to stop you applying to the University and are committed to providing the financial support you need while you’re here. Cambridge Bursaries of up to £3,500 a year in 2018-19 are available to some UK and EU students studying for their first undergraduate degree to support living costs. Please refer to the Cambridge Bursary Scheme website for full information and eligibility.

College awards

Additional sources of funding such as College awards and grants may be available from your College. See Cambridge Financial Support for links to College finance information.

Part time work

The University takes the view that our students should not work during term-time – it's important that you have an appropriate work-life balance, and we offer a wide range of financial support to ensure you don't have to. However, there may be a few opportunities available within the University and Colleges that are an exception to this, such as working in the College bar, College library or as a student helper during open days.

For information about costs and support for overseas and Islands students, see international financial support.

1 For students to be eligible for funding from Student Finance England, they must be studying on an eligible course at a provider registered with the Office for Students (OfS).The OfS is the new independent regulator for higher education in England and all higher education providers need to register with the OfS for their students to be eligible for student support in the 2019-20 academic year. The University of Cambridge was included within the OfS Register published in July 2018. Visit OFS for more information.