skip to content

Undergraduate Study


At the University of Cambridge, we welcome applications from all backgrounds. Estranged students may have specific concerns when considering or starting university, and it’s important to us they feel supported during this time.

The University has signed up to the Care Leaver Covenant, which commits to the provision of support and opportunities for young people leaving the care system.

If you would like to find out more about support for young adults leaving care, visit our Care Leavers page.

Estranged students and young adults

Estranged students are young people studying without the support and approval of a family network. Young people in this position often have no contact at all with their family.

  • If you are an applicant or are thinking of making an application to the University, please see our information on applying as an estranged student.
  • As an estranged student at Cambridge, you may be eligible for additional support, similar to the support care leavers receive – see the Care leaver Support page for more information.

Mature students and student parents

If you're aged between 21 and 25 and previously spent time in care, you may be entitled to support if starting education at this stage.

If you left school a while ago and are now considering taking up a higher education course, please refer to our information for mature students.

If you're a student with children you can find details about support available to you on the University Childcare Information Service website including family accommodation, childcare services and finance.