skip to content

Undergraduate Study


College community

There are various University services and within your College community you have a number of people looking out for your academic and personal welfare and supporting you throughout your time at Cambridge. Students who are struggling with a particular problem or feeling a bit lost won’t go unnoticed.

Director of Studies

Your Director of Studies (DoS) is an expert in your subject and usually a Fellow of your College (a Fellow is a senior member of the College whose main duty is teaching, administration or research). Appointed to look after your academic welfare, they:

  • advise you on your subject and course choices
  • help arrange your supervisions
  • monitor your progress and help with any problems arising from your studies

They're also involved in the admissions process and they usually conduct interviews.


As well as a Director of Studies, you have access to a College Tutor, who's also an academic but normally in a different subject from yours. They're there to:

  • protect your interests
  • provide pastoral support
  • advise you on any personal or financial matters

College staff

Colleges have a variety of people you can turn to for medical or personal support (or just a cup of tea and a chat), such as a nurse, counsellor, and/or chaplain. See individual College websites for information about College staff and support services they offer.