skip to content

Undergraduate Study


College community

There are various University services and within your College community you have a number of people looking out for your academic and personal welfare and supporting you throughout your time at Cambridge.

Director of Studies

Your Director of Studies (DoS) is an expert in your subject and usually a Fellow of your College (a Fellow is a senior member of the College whose main duty is teaching, administration or research). Appointed to look after your academic welfare, they:

  • advise you on your subject and course choices
  • help arrange your supervisions
  • monitor your progress and help with any problems arising from your studies

They're also involved in the admissions process and they usually conduct interviews.


As well as a Director of Studies, you have access to a College Tutor, who's also an academic but normally in a different subject from yours. They're there to:

  • protect your interests
  • provide pastoral support
  • advise you on any personal or financial matters

College staff

Colleges have a variety of people you can turn to for medical or personal support (or just a cup of tea and a chat), such as a nurse, counsellor, and/or chaplain. See individual College websites for information about College staff and support services they offer.